GREENVILLE, SC (WSPA) – City of Greenville officials said the section of the Swamp Rabbit Trail within the city limits will be closed until further notice starting at sundown Monday evening.
According to the city’s Facbeook post, signs advising the public of the closure will be posted at the city/county line and in various locations along the trail.
“I commend Gov McMaster for issuing a Stay at Home Order enforceable by law,” said Greenville Mayor Knox White. “This action will support the lifesaving efforts of our health care professionals and speed the day our lives can return to normal.”
The City of Greenville also provided several reasons for the trail closure:
- Trail usage overall is increasing as more residents take advantage of spring weather
- Due to park closures, there is more concentrated pedestrian traffic on open sections of the trail close to downtown
- Most of the City’s trail network is only 11-feet-wide, which does not allow adequate distance between users
- Increased respiration when exercising increases the likelihood of expelling droplets just by breathing
- Full closure of the trail reduces confusion regarding where the public is allowed and makes it easier to follow the guidelines