GREENVILLE Co., S.C. (WSPA) — Space Day is Saturday and the event will showcase the re-opening of the planetarium at the Roper Mountain Science Center.
The Hooper Planetarium has been closed for more than a year for renovations. Visitors can experience 360-degree immersion, 4K projection, and surround sound at the newly renovated planetarium on Space Day. They can also enjoy interactive exhibits and activities from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Some activities scheduled:
- Moon Rocks, Meteorites, and Historic NASA Artifacts on display
- Experience the excitement of the This is Rocket Science stage show in the Hipp Auditorium
- Walk through and sit in a UH-72A Lakota Helicopter with the SC Army National Guard
- See and touch an actual Space Shuttle Tire with Michelin Engineers and learn about Michelin’s rich history in aviation
- You be the Pilot with Flight Simulators from Byrnes High School Honors Aviation
- GE Aviation hosts a Straw Rocket Design Challenge
- Engineers from Lockheed Martin will launch model rockets and answer questions about rocketry and Lockheed’s participation in the space program
- USC Upstate students Explore Earth and Space Science with toolkits from the National Informal STEM Education Network
- See a tabletop comet, build a solar bead buddy, or look at emission spectra with Clemson Physics and Astronomy
- Make and Take a Pocket Solar System with Purdue Club of Upstate SC
- Greenville Technical College Aviation Maintenance demonstrates a Gyroscope Suitcase, Bernoulli’s principle trainer, eddy current display, and a Turbine Ignition System. Plus children will design a circuit and learn how to use electrical meters to measure current, voltage and resistance
- PARI offers AstroSurf with Smiley: Take data with a 4.6m radio telescope located in North Carolina! You are in charge of observing radio emissions from neutral hydrogen in our galaxy
- Western Carolina Remote Control Club with fixed wing helicopters and drones flying on the Living History Farm plus make and take your own kites
Shows in the planetarium will be offered throughout the day starting at 10 a.m.
Food will be available for purchase at the event.