Cooper says reveal on N.C. schools plan to come next week

State News

Gov. Roy Cooper listens as Dr. Mandy Cohen, secretary of the state Department of Health and Human Services speaks during a briefing at the Emergency Operations Center in Raleigh, N.C., Thursday, July 9, 2020. (Ethan Hyman/The News & Observer via AP)

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) β€” North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper says a decision on how public schools will start the year teaching students during the COVID-19 pandemic will come next week.

Cooper previously delayed the disclosure set for July 1, saying he wanted more time for feedback and to review the science related to school reopenings and public health.

School buildings have been shuttered since March, and classes are now set to begin Aug. 17.

Cooper also said Thursday he will announce next week whether businesses still closed under his latest executive order set to expire July 17 can reopen.

Case and hospitalization rates remain stubbornly high.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mascot Challenge
High School RedZone
Star of the Week
Black and Blue Kickoff Live
Pro Football Challenge
Carolina Eats Contest
Find A Job
Color your Weather
wspa news app free for download choose your store below
download the wspa news app from the apple app store
download the wspa news app from the google play store

Trending Stories