FEMA approves NC request to provide 16,500+ housing units during COVID-19 pandemic

State News
roy cooper_1521046034680.jpg.jpg

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – The State of North Carolina has received approval from FEMA to provide housing alternatives for North Carolinians “with unstable housing who may need to quarantine…or are at high-risk for severe illness from COVID-19,” Gov. Roy Cooper’s office announced Wednesday.

The alternative housing will include hotels, motels and dormitories, according to the press release from Cooper’s office.

RELATED: Full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak

“North Carolinians without stable housing still need places to go if they are have a mild case of COVID-19 or need to quarantine after being exposed to the virus. These types of alternatives will help people who have no other safe options to self-isolate or social distance while we slow the spread of this virus,” said Cooper.

According to the release, “Officials will work with local partners to provide more than 16,500 units of individual housing in dormitories, hotels, trailers, or other facilities.”

The housing will be for:

  • People who test positive for COVID-19 and need to be isolated but do not require hospitalization, including those discharged from hospitals.
  • People exposed to COVID-19 and identified by a health care professional as needing quarantine but do not hospitalization.
  • People needing social distancing as a precautionary measure, as determined by public health officials, particularly for high-risk groups such as people over 65 or with certain underlying health conditions such as respiratory illness, compromised immunities or chronic disease. This may include those whose living situation makes them unable to adhere to social distancing guidance.

The federal government, through FEMA, will pay 75 percent of the costs associated with operating the non-congregate sheltering program, the release said. The state will pay the remaining 25 percent.

“Funding includes the cost of all supporting infrastructure, such as electricity and waste disposal, as well as other services such as laundry, food, cleaning and security,” according to the release.

Businesses such as hotels, motels, colleges, universities and other large-scale facilities that may be able to house people can email BEOC@ncdps.gov.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Food Drive
Destination Vacation
Livin Upstate Deals
Carolina Eats Contest
Adopt A Thon
wspa news app free for download choose your store below
download the wspa news app from the apple app store
download the wspa news app from the google play store

Trending Stories