Video above is from December 2019
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WBTW) — A man killed in a shooting in Myrtle Beach that left several others injured bought dozens of gifts for kids last Christmas and planned to do the same thing this year.
Darius Hemingway, 30, of Myrtle Beach, was killed Monday morning in a shooting on Hwy 501 near Canal Street. Last year, Hemingway and his friend, Jaylen Wright, bought dozens of gifts to hand out to the kids in their neighborhood.
Hemingway and Wright spoke to News13 last year and said they did it because they wanted to give back to the community.
“I always wanted to do something for my community,” Hemingway told News13 last year. “Once I was able to do it, I took advantage of it.”
After seeing the look on all the kids’ faces, Hemingway and Wright wanted to do the same thing this year.
“It means the world to these kids,” Hemingway said last year. “I’m pretty sure some needed it. Some might not have needed it, but I’m sure it means the world to them.”
No suspects have been named in the shooting.
- Data breach reveals US police, public officials donated to Kenosha shooting suspect
- Oath Keeper is 1st suspect to plead guilty in Capitol riot
- US setting up $1.7B national network to track COVID-19 variants
- YouTuber Jake Paul says he has brain damage ahead of boxing match, then retracts comments
- WATCH: Man on meth smashes Florence County couple’s window with planter, deputies say