COLOMBIA, S.C. (WSPA) – The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) announced it is investigating a seventh possible case of coronavirus in the state.
The announcement was made during a news conference Monday afternoon alongside Governor Henry McMaster.
The latest case is a Camden man who tested presumptive positive for COVID-19 late Sunday evening. The patient was evaluated at a healthcare facility, not hospitalized and is currently isolated at home. DHEC said the patient is a direct contact with a previously announced presumptive case.
Dr. Rick Toomey, with DHEC, said 31 people have been tested so far for COVID-19. 24 tests returned negative and seven returned presumptive positive for the virus. 16 remain in monitoring. South Carolina has received two test kits so far, with each kit containing 500 tests.
As of Monday, the CDC confirmed two of South Carolina’s seven presumptive cases.
“There is no cause for public alarm or speculation, schools will remain open and state offices in all counties will remain open,” added Gov. McMaster. DHEC are monitoring absentee rates, as well as reports of illness, to determine when or if closures may be necessary.
Dr. Linda Bell, State Epidmiologist, said “If individuals suspect they are ill, they need to report that to a healthcare facility, so the facilities can take appropriate measures and not have that person sitting in a waiting room or in an ER.”
Anyone without a primary care physician can visit MUSC.care, use the code COVID19, and be screened for free.