CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KWQC) – Patricia Dampier was taking a nap last Friday, August 26, 2016 when her mom called.
When Dampier tried to answer, she noticed something was wrong with her phone because the screen was frozen.
She put the phone down on her bed and says seconds later it exploded and began smoking, damaging her sheets and mattress.
"They are fortunate that this didn't occur at night or when the phone was placed on other combustible materials," says City of Cedar Rapids spokesperson Greg Buelow.
Firefighters and police officers responded to Dampier's home to assess the damage.
"It appears the battery exploded," Buelow says.
Buelow says it was an HTC phone.
The New York Police Department this past February issued a warning to never leave a cellphone near or on bedding because of the fire risk.
The NYPD warned specifically against putting cellphones under pillows while sleeping or when charging.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Gaffney man gunned down while walking walk home
- Pres. Trump fires off explosive threat to Iran's leader
- Man firing into Toronto cafes shoots 14 people, killing 2
- Police: SC sex offender sent nudes to officer, not teen