SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) — T.J. Gibbs scored 22 points in what could have been his final home game as Notre Dame closed out the regular season with a 64-56 victory over Virginia Tech.
Gibbs, one of three departing players who were saluted before the Purcell Pavilion fans, hit 7 of 12 shots, including 5 of 8 from 3-point range.
Reserve Dane Goodwin added 13 points and nine rebounds for coach Mike Brey’s Fighting Irish who got 12 rebounds from double-double machine John Mooney but just seven points.
The 6-foot-9 senior forward had entered the game leading the nation in double-doubles with 25.
Grad student Rex Pflueger had seven points.
- With wins in 7 states and DC, Biden closes in on nomination
- BMW Charity Pro-Am holds online auction to support six benefitting charities this week
- Son of retired police captain killed by looters pleads: ‘Step back from what you’re doing’
- ‘If you can say you can’t breathe, you’re breathing:’ Mississippi mayor apologizes for tweets on George Floyd
- Trump says RNC ‘forced’ to find new host state with Gov. Cooper still in ‘shelter-in-place mode’