COLUMBIA (USC SID) – The quartet of Brannon Jordan, Jackson Phipps, Will Sanders and Brett Kerry combined for the University of South Carolina baseball team’s first shutout of the season and the Gamecocks scored three runs in the first inning on its way to a 4-0 win Saturday afternoon (March 6) at Founders Park.
Jordan struck out a career-high 11 batters in his five innings. He allowed just one hit and walked three. Phipps gave up a hit in a scoreless sixth, while Sanders and Kerry each had three strikeouts in their outing.
- Carolina clinched a series win over the Bears in Saturday’s win.
- Carolina’s bullpen now has 63 strikeouts in 43.2 innings pitched after tonight’s game.
- Joe Satterfield picked up his second start of the season, his first at third base, while Brandon Fields had his first career start on Saturday.
- Brannon Jordan broke his previous career high of 10 strikeouts, which was set last season in a win over Cornell.
- Carolina’s team ERA fell to 2.82 after tonight’s shutout, its first since the 2020 season opener (10-0) against Holy Cross.
Carolina and Mercer close out the series on Sunday afternoon (March 7) with a noon first pitch. The game will be televised on SEC Network with Mike Morgan and Todd Walker on the call.