GREENSBORO, N.C. (Wofford SID) – The Wofford men’s basketball team overcame a seven-point deficit in the final minute of regulation to force overtime against UNCG on Sunday afternoon. In the extra period, the Spartans were able to pull away for the 97-89 win at the Greensboro Coliseum. 

Wofford (13-14, 5-9) trailed 75-68 with 1:05 left in the second half before a pair of B.J. Mack free throws, along with two Jackson Paveletzke lay-ups and a free throw cut the deficit to four. After a turnover by UNCG, B.J. Mack would drain a three to cut the lead to only one point. A basket by UNCG (18-9, 12-2) extended it back to a three-point advantage before Corey Tripp evened up the score with a three-pointer with only seven seconds left on the clock. 

In overtime Wofford would score first for an 82-81 lead, but trailed after a pair of three pointers by the Spartans. Added to missed free throws by the Terriers down the stretch, the Spartans won by a 97-89 final score.

“The fight that these guys showed, our staff will never take it for granted,” said interim head coach Dwight Perry. “What this team showed today against arguably the toughest and most physical team in the league on the road, after playing a double overtime game, and after every single run they had tonight to not even blink and to force overtime. Our staff believes in our heart we’re trending in the right direction.”

Forward B.J. Mack led both the Terriers and the game in scoring by matching his career-high with 28 points while also adding ten rebounds. Forward Messiah Jones also picked up a double-double as he scored 13 points and picked up 11 boards. Guard Jackson Paveletzke added 20 points for the Terriers.

Guard Keyshaun Langley led the Spartans in scoring with 27 points, while forward Mohammed Abdulsalam added 19 points along with a game-high 14 rebounds. UNCG’s five starters accounted for all but five points for their team.

After Wofford opened the game on a 5-0 run, UNCG responded with an 11-0 run and was able to lead most of the first half. Wofford was able to cut that halftime deficit to only three at 36-33.

Wofford would gain a second half lead as large as eight points at 63-55 with eight minutes to go before UNCG would begin the comeback with a 12-0 run and take a lead that they would not lose until the very end of regulation.

In overtime, clutch free throw shooting (6-of-8) helped the Spartans close out the Terriers second overtime game this week.

“We’re trending in the right direction and that’s the key,” said Perry. “We have to keep getting better so that when we go up to Ashville we’re playing our best basketball of the season, because at our level that is by far the most important thing.”

Quick Hits

  • Wofford went 9-of-24 from three, while UNCG went 11-of-30 in the game from behind the arc.
  • UNCG was able to shoot 24-of-30 from the free throw line and the Terriers went 14-of-25.
  • UNCG outrebounded Wofford 44-35, including 17 offensive rebounds for the Spartans to just 10 for the Terriers.

Up Next

Wofford will host the Mercer Bears at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 15, at Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium.