COLUMBIA – Gavin Casas and Will McGillis hit back-to-back home runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to earn a come-from-behind, 6-5 win over Penn to sweep the three-game series Sunday afternoon (Feb. 26) at Founders Park.
Penn took a 5-4 lead in the top of the eighth on a solo home run from Cole McGonigal. Carolina answered right away with the pair of home runs. Braylen Wimmer also homered in the seventh and had three hits on the day. Casas drove in a pair and McGillis was 2-for-3 with the RBI.
On the mound, Cade Austin recorded the final out of the eighth to earn the win. Jack Mahoney started for the Gamecocks, striking out four and allowing five hits and four runs with two walks in 5.1 innings. Eli Jerzembeck struck out three in 2.1 innings, allowing one run on four hits. Chris Veach came in the game in the ninth and recorded his second save of the weekend, striking out a batter in an inning.
Carolina reached base on the seven hits, seven hit by pitches and 11 walks. The Gamecocks left 19 men on base in the win.
- Carolina improves to 8-0 on the season for the second time in three years.
- Carolina now has 26 home runs in eight games after the three on Sunday.
- The Gamecocks have hit back-to-back home runs three times this season.
- Wimmer now has hits in all eight games after his three on Sunday.
- Veach now has six career saves between Presbyterian and Carolina.
Carolina concludes its season-opening nine game home stand on Tuesday afternoon (Feb. 28) against North Carolina A&T. First pitch is set for 4 p.m. The game will be streamed on SEC Network Plus.