Mom drops baby to safety in apt. fire in Anderson

Anderson apartment fire 1

ANDERSON, SC (WSPA) – Firefighters say a baby was dropped from a second-floor window to the safety of a neighbor’s arms during a fire at Ashford Cove Apartment Homes in Anderson.

The fire happened Tuesday night at the apartments located on Miracle Mile Drive. 

Firefighters say a mother was trying to escape the fire but could not get down the stairs fast enough and dropped her 11-month-old child to a neighbor waiting below.

Neither the mother nor the baby were hurt.

A dog, cat, and turtle were also rescued from the apartments.

An ambulance worker was also taken to AnMed Health Medical Center for heat exhaustion.

No other injuries were reported.

Firefighters say one apartment was heavily damaged in the fire, while three others had heavy smoke damage.

Lt. Travis Poore with Anderson Fire Department says the cause was a cooking fire on the stove that someone tried to put out with a fire extinguisher, but was unsuccessful.

They left the door open and that fueled the fire, causing it to spread.

Eight units were damaged and eight families were displaced.

Red Cross volunteers are helping several families whose homes were damaged in the fire. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Win Biltmore Tickets
Things to Do
Color Your Weather
Pro Football Challenge
wspa news app free for download choose your store below
download the wspa news app from the apple app store
download the wspa news app from the google play store